On February 23rd - Disney announced that the Villas at Grand California will be opening on May 2nd. This is the second time an opening date for this resort has been announced. Also the e-mail mentions that "some of the temporary adjustments made last year to certain Disney Vacation Club policies will be ending soon". Without specifics of which changes or what dates this might happen.
What else is known about reopening?
The parks are going to require a reservation to enter the parks. While having a resort reservation will likely give members an advantage to booking a park reservation, they are NOT guaranteed to be able to get into a park just because you have a room reservation.
All dining and Fastpass reservations have been cancelled. Dining will be reservable as a 60-day advance time eventually. Fastpasses will not be available for the foreseeable future.
Anyone with reservations in 2020 should pay careful attention to the DVC emails and website as they will provide the most up to date information.
How is DVC handling the closures with member points? Will I lose my points if I cancel?
As of March 16th,2020 the Disney parks and resorts have been closed down. The non-Disney park resorts did not close the same day, but were all closed within two weeks of this date, including Aulani. The following information only applies to reservations that were cancelled AFTER February 29th, 2020, and for dates starting March 12th through the end of the closure period - which at the moment is an unknown date.
With the resorts closed - Disney responded to points used to book these reservations as follows:
- Holding Accounts - instead of the usual policy of resort stays cancelled 30 days or less Disney has allowed that any bookings cancelled during the closures either by members or by Disney would not go into a holding account.
- Banked points into current Use Year - UPDATE as of May 27,2020 - Disney announced that for owners with reservations cancelled by the shutdown and an April thrpugh October UY - any banked points placed into their 2019 use year from 2018 will be extended to November 30, 2020. For any other owner UY, the points will still expire on the expected date, The list below shows when banked points expire for your current UY:
- April 1st, 2019 UY - Expire November 30, 2020 (Extended)
- June 1st, 2019 UY - Expire November 30, 2020 (Extended)
- August 1st, 2019 UY - Expire November 30, 2020 (Extended)
- September 1st, 2019 UY - Expire November 30, 2020 (Extended)
- October 1st, 2019 UY - Expire November 30, 2020 (Extended)
- December 1st,2019 UY -Expire November 30, 2020 (Normal)
- February 1st, 2020 UY - Expire Jan 31st, 2021 (Normal)
- March 1st, 2020 UY - Expire Feb 28th, 2021 (Normal)
- Current UY Points - As of May 27, 2020, Current UY points for cancelled reservations will return to the Current UY, and they will follow the normal banking rules. The exception is again points from April to October 2019 use years that were plan to be used will be extended by TWELVE months. These points essentially will behave like BANKED points, but you will NOT be allowed to bank them further. In addition, Disney has also stated that if your resort reservation was cancelled and it was after your booking window, they would allow for late banking.The list below shows when these points expire and if they can still be banked.
- April 1st, 2019 UY - Expire March 31, 2021 (Extended) Cannot Bank Points
- June 1st, 2019 UY - Expire May 31, 2021 (Extended) Cannot Bank Points
- August 1st, 2019 UY - Expire July 31,2021(Extended) Cannot Bank Points
- September 1st, 2019 UY - Expire August 31,2021 (Extended) Cannot Bank Points
- October 1st, 2019 UY - Expire September, 30, 2021 (Extended) Cannot Bank Points
- December 1st,2019 UY -Expire November 30, 2020 (Normal), Bank by July 31st
- February 1st, 2020 UY - Expire Jan 31st, 2021 (Normal), Bank by September 30th
- March 1st, 2020 UY - Expire Feb 28th, 2021 (Normal), Bank by October 31st
- Borrowed UY Points - when the member or Disney cancels a trip that was scheduled to occur after March 12th, 2020 but before the parks reopen, any Borrowed points will be returned to the original Use Year that they came from. This goes for ALL use years. This may take up to two weeks to see in the system, but it SHOULD happen automatically.
- One Time Use Points - One Time Use Points purchased from Disney on a cancelled reservation are NOT automatically refunded. However, members have had success being refunded, so the suggestion is to contact member services and see if you can get the money refunded.
Very important note - if YOU cancel a trip and then Disney reopens - none of the extra allowances will apply. IF you cancel a trip after the resorts re-opening date - none of the extra allowances will apply.
OK - what other effects are we seeing from Disney on DVC points
A few other pieces of information have been given from Disney.
- Members with a June UY that deposited there points into RCI since March 12th can get their points back from RCI back into their regular account.
- Any members with RCI vacations that are cancelled with see there points returned to RCI and can use them for future bookings.
- Members with reservations in Disney Collection and Concierge Collection that are cancelled because of closures will have the points returned to their current UY account.
- Dues are expected to be effected in some way by the closure. While expenses are likely to have gone down during the closure, the cost of operating when the resorts return may go up. Disney has indicated that if there is excess funds because of the closure, the dues will be refunded by the members.
- Here's the big one - From April 25th forward - Borrowing of points will be restricted to only 50% of members account. This is to prevent further overloading of a system that already has too many points in it. This change is indefinite, meaning it could be left in place after the whole COVID-19 Crisis has lifted.
I don't want to go right now even if they reopen - what if I cancel my trip even after they are reopened
At that point the usual rules apply. You won't be able to bank points if it's after your banking window, and borrowed points will not move back to the original Use Year. Basically you are S.O.L. But, realizing that in this situation YOU are choosing to cancel - and there is always a risk
What if I bought travel Insurance for my points through Disney
Well, buying travel insurance (Through Disney) should mean that you are refunded for any points that you cannot use. Of course, you are best off calling the insurance company